Friday, August 14, 2015

totally forgot to mention

In my haste to post last night (and in my buzzy stupor), I totally forgot a few things.  Yes, I know...whatever.

Anyhoo, our drive yesterday was about 7.5 hours from Denver - and that included lunch and a couple of pit stops.  The temperature gauge in the car varied from 96 to 64 degrees and back as we traversed the plains, the desert, the high mountain passes, and the meadows and valleys of Colorado.  We got caught in a few rain showers - mostly just skiffs - but it steered our conversation to how green everything is.  With the past good snow season and the unending spring rains, the mountains and valleys are still bright with a full spectrum of greens.

Joe took this picture of Wolf Creek valley from the car, and it's hard to tell, but trust me, that valley is green green green.

As we were coming out of the San Juan National Forest, I swear I saw a bear...but I was driving and paying more attention to the road, and Joe missed it.  It might have been a really big dog or perhaps a cow.  Let's go with bear just for fun, shall we?  

Today we had sort of planned on taking the narrow gauge rail up to Silverton, but since it's a full day commitment, we decided instead to hang around town.  Although I'm sure we'll stand in front of the station and check in a beer on Untappd - for the badge, of course.  There are two breweries that we have not been to, and I really want to go back to the Durango Brewing Company and have some of their beer cheese dip.  I imagine we'll also have to pay our respects to Ska and Steamworks.  But to kick things off, we're headed over to the Durango Diner for a most excellent breakfast and some of their famous green chili sauce!  

Let's roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment